Saturday, October 17, 2009
That sinking feeling
Wanted to share a hilarious event that happened in an SGH lift yesterday. I figure nothing beats actually being there, but I'm still hiding a smile as I think about it.
We were going down for lunch, my HO, fellow MO and I, and we managed to get into one of the lifts which was already quite full. The doors closed but sprung open again before they shut completely, and it turned out this student nurse had pressed the button. She was rather hefty, to be polite (but this is important for this story), and she hesitated for a brief moment but squeezed into the lift into the remaining space at the doorway. Then the freakiest thing happened; as the doors closed, they
shuddered, like they were getting jammed every 10cm or so, with this horrible sound "zhum-zhum-zhum". Obviously someone hit the door open button and everyone in the lift was pretty shocked, not knowing how to react. The student nurse then murmured an apology and got out of the lift. This time, the doors closed
smoothly.
Someone muttered, "That was freaky." I kept my eyes fixated ahead of me, not looking at my HO and trying to control myself. Good thing it was only 3 floors to the ground floor. There was a tense silence in the lift. When we were getting out, I finally turned to my very bemused HO and whispered, "When she came into the lift, I secretly wanted to make a buzzing noise!" But the lift did it for me. So the three of us ended up standing outside the seating area of Bengawan Solo, trying very hard to compose ourselves as we laughed manically. My fellow MO was highly amused by the lift door shuddering, he thought it was "less obvious" than a buzzing noise, but really, I thought it was definitely more embarrassing. I figure the entire lift carriage must have sunk a little, interfering with the door closing mechanism somehow.
Yes I know it's incredibly mean and evil to laugh about someone else like this, and I really feel sorry for the poor girl. But it's so funny!
=========
In other news, I'm on leave again, yay. This time, not for study, but for fun! Not going anywhere, just going to bum around in Singapore. I also need to get myself prepared for the return to the hellhole called army, painful though the need is, and reluctant as my soul feels. So I actually went running yesterday for the first time in 5 thousand centuries, and now my thighs hurt like a nightmare, and I can't go down stairs or slopes. But I didn't collapse and die, so it kind of actually felt good knowing that I'm not as wasted as I thought I was, though definitely not as fit as I should be. Heh. Now I only need a little more determination, less procrastination, and for this wretched pain to go away, so I can keep at it. Wish me luck.
Other plans for the break: LOADS of TV shows -- I'd love to finish off at least a season of Gossip Girl, which I started watching and got incredibly addicted to, except my download speed is slower than my watching speed. I've been wanting to watch it for a while, mainly because of Chace Crawford (oh, so heartmeltingly cute, he is), but discovered a lot more joys in it than just Chace. In particular, I'm surprised by the chemistry between Rufus Humphrey and Lily van der Woodsen. For some reason I've always been more moved by the relationships of the adult characters more than the teen characters in these teen dramas. When I was hooked on The O.C., I loved the scenes with Kirsten and Sandy Cohen, and now I love Rufus and Lily though they aren't really together. Maybe I go for more of quiet tenderness that doesn't have to be expressed through hot kissing and frantic ahem. And is it wrong and weird that I think Lily is hotter than Serena? Whatever it is, I'm going to be watching more Gossip Girl. Kristen Bell's voice as the titular character is also quite juicily bitchy haha.
Just watched the first 4 episodes of Flash Forward - I know they're airing it on Channel 5, but I just downloaded it to watch anyway. It seems interesting enough, and the writers are leaving enough hooks and twists to keep me intrigued, but it feels like another Lost, not that it isn't a good thing. Not to mention Dominic Monaghan and Sonya Walger (Penelope Widmore from Lost) are in it, which brings back more Lost memories. I'm mildly tired of all the angst of the main character and the recurrent theme of whether seeing the future makes it a certainty or if we can still change it, but not annoyed enough to abandon the series altogether. Will go on watching and hopefully it'll get better. John Cho is a great plus point if he weren't so angsty too. :P
This is all on top of my regular doses of Fringe, Glee, and anime (FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Umineko no Naku Koro Ni). My brain is this mush of googlebox-induced dullness, haha.
Also bought a couple of books from Borders thanks to their nice 20% discount vouchers, so I aim to do some reading as well. I have yet to finish Tad Williams' Shadowplay though I finished Shadowmarch in May; already about a quarter through that book now. Tad Williams' writing is quite riveting. He knows how to work a plot and lay some good hooks to draw the reader in. I just wish the third book would come out soon.
Very ambitious plans for just one week, I must admit, but that's always been my style, ha. This is the last snatch of personal freedom I have before army steals it all away, and life goes to the pits. A saddening thought; it almost feels like the end of all happiness as I know it. I'll miss work, even rounding multiple times a day, but not the Internal Med takes. Will miss the patients, the diagnostic process, and the management planning. Sigh. But I'm not going to spend this week moping around, that's for sure.
=========
A last line: This twitter thing is too addictive for its own good. It's even better than Facebook, at least because less people see what I post now that not many people follow my twitter, though theoretically it's more public because anyone online can find my twitter and read it, as compared to my FB wall which is only revealed to my friends. I finally made it so I can update my twitter via SMS, without actually accessing the site, so I'm even more liberated! I really want to get an iPhone, but it's pointless because where I'm going, they don't allow camera phones. Sad, right?
Having horrendous verbal diarrhoea again. There's just so much I want to say that sieving out the rubbish from the trash is a bit difficult. Haha. Okay, see you people again soon.
Avaris / 10/17/2009 11:47:00 PM
0 consumed