Thursday, March 10, 2011
This is why I find psychiatric patients disturbing
During RT cover:
Patient: "I have a headache, and I feel like vomiting."
Me: *notes history of hypertension "Ok, do you have any other medical problems?"
Patient: "I have high blood pressure."
Me: "Are you taking any medications for your blood pressure?"
Patient: "No, but I'm taking other medications."
Me: "What other medications?"
Patient: "I take risperidone from IMH."
Me: *pause "Ok. How long have you been taking risperidone?"
Patient: "2 years."
Me: "And do you know why you're taking the risperidone?"
Patient: "No."
Me: "Did the doctor that you're seeing tell you the reason that you have to take risperidone?"
Patient: "Yes. But I forgot."
Me: "Er. Ok."
Patient: "Doctor, can you tell me why I'm taking risperidone? What is the medicine for?" *vacant stare*
Me: *wonders silently "Can you tell me why you're here doing RT in the first place?"*
Post-script: At least he knew the name of the medication. Some just say "I take white tablets from IMH. I don't know what it's for." = WIN
Avaris / 3/10/2011 04:33:00 PM
0 consumed