Monday, April 23, 2012
Siang Kah Pager?
I recently read about how SunPage, the only company in Singapore still supporting pagers, is stopping its paging services. So pagers are going to be a thing of the past, much like so many other things of my childhood.
I remember how my dad used to carry a pager around and my mom and I would page him if we wanted to contact him. I even remember his pager number now - 94091441. We even had codes: my dad used to work in Ngee Ann City (he worked in lift maintenance) and when my mom and I went shopping there, we'd page him and instead of the number of the phone we had called from, we left a number code with the floor we were on. B1 = 81, B2 = 82, Level 1 = 01, and so on.
I never used to understand when my parents talked about things in their childhood I had never seen or could not imagine, but now it's just staggering how young people 10 years younger than me may not know what a pager looks like, or have played with a Sega console or the simple Brick Game when they were little. How times change.
Avaris / 4/23/2012 11:34:00 PM
0 consumed